If you live in New England or a commutable distance to our campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts and want to experience college life without living on campus, SSP Commuting might be the right choice for you.
The Harvard Secondary School Program has over 200 courses to choose from in our 2022 course catalog, and as an SSP Commuting student, you can take an on-campus or online class – or one of each. You get more flexibility with the number and format of classes you take, but still get to enjoy the campus experience. You’ll come to campus for any on-campus classes or you can take online classes and only come to campus when you want to.
- 4 credit hours required, but can take 8 credit hours (one class is typically 4-credit hours)
- Classes are for-credit, graded college courses
- Have the option to drop a course if needed (unless restricted by Visa)
89% of past attendees said the courses they completed at Harvard helped them identify what they wanted to study in college, so we organized our courses into Career Pathways as a way to help you choose.
Your Choice of Activities
SSP Commuting students can participate in all Secondary School Program activities. You will have a rigorous, full-time courseload; however, your schedule will have room to fill with activities such as College Counseling Q&As or music groups.
Access to Harvard’s Campus
You’ll also get a Harvard student ID which provides access to Harvard buildings such as libraries, athletic facilities, and student centers, so you can experience college life when you come to campus. Since you won’t be living in a residence hall, your ID will not grant access to the residence halls.
- Student lives at home (or with an approved adult above the age of 21)
- Student must live close enough to Cambridge, MA to come to campus each week (MA, ME, NH, RI, CT, VT, NY)
Costs & Aid for SSP Commuting
- 2022 program cost $3,500 (4-credits) – $7,000 (8-credits). Cost is for tuition only and depends upon the number of credits taken.
- Non-refundable $75 application fee
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for financial aid.
Is SSP Commuting Right for You?
- Learn more about the application process.
- View important dates and deadlines.
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions.