Applications for Summer 2024 open on December 1.
What you’ll learn
Have you always been fascinated by how things work or what goes into creating new technologies? Put your coding capabilities to the test this summer in game development or animation courses, learn more about the future of augmented reality, or study how probability theory and statistics apply to engineering and data science.
The 7-week Secondary School Program allows you to take two courses instead of one, so you can use your summer to focus your studies on topics you are excited about or evaluate a potential field of study in college. Explore these Computer Science and Engineering subjects you can study at Harvard and design your own computer science summer program by choosing two courses.
Featured 7-Week SSP Courses
Programming and Web Development
- Introduction to Computer Science with Python (CSCI S-7)
- Intensive Introduction to Computer Science (CSCI S-50)
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence with Python (CSCI S-80)
- Introduction to C++ for Programmers (CSCI S-38)
Applied Mathematics and Engineering
- Introduction to Probability for Engineering and Data Science (ENSC S-138)
- Mathematical Modeling (APMA S-115)
- Introduction to Digital Fabrication (PHYS S-12)
- Character Design for Animation and Games (DGMD S-71)
- Digital Media: From Ideas to Designs and Prototypes (DGMD S-1)
Technology and Society
- Wearable Devices and Computer Vision (DGMD S-14)
- Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles, Drones, and Artificial Intelligence (DGMD S-17)
- The Ethics of Emerging Technologies (PHIL S-150)
Explore More Computer Science Courses
Interested in finding more courses like this? Browse our course catalog to see all of our computer science courses.
High school students interested in taking computer science and engineering courses must first apply and be accepted into the Secondary School Program. These courses are also open to adult and college students over the summer. Adults and college students should complete these steps to register.
How long are the Computer Science and Engineering classes?
These courses run the full length of the 7-week term. 4-credit courses are in session 2 days/week and 8-credit courses are in session 5 days/week (Monday-Friday). On class days, you will meet for 3 hours.
Do I earn college credit from these courses?
Yes. At the completion of the program, you may request a transcript listing your coursework, grades, and number of credits earned. Students participating in the 7-Week Residential program earn 8 credit hours, either taking two 4-credit courses or one 8-hour course, while SSP Online or Commuting students may choose to take either 4 or 8 credit hours during the 7-week summer session.
Are these classes online or in-person?
Some courses are available on-campus only, while others are available in a flexible format for 7-week SSP Online or Commuting students. Learn more about which courses are available depending on your program format.
Are my college credits transferable?
Harvard Summer School credits are accepted toward degrees at most colleges and universities at the discretion of the home institution. You can request a copy of your transcript after completing your courses. Because degree requirements vary among schools, you should check your home school’s transfer policies before you register.